Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I receive on a regular phone the calls directed to a virtual number?
- If you want to forward calls to a classic phone at the time of purchase:
In the number order form, select the option "Regular phone". Then, in the two menus that will appear, select the country and the prefix of the number where you wish to receive the calls
- If you want to forward calls to a classic phone after purchase:
In your private area, click on "my numbers" ⇨ Open "Details" of the DID number ⇨ "change forwarding" ⇨ choose "regular phone"
- I'm not able to buy a local number; What can I do?
We do it for you. Please write us using the "Contact us" menu, indicating
- The country and city of the local number you wish
- How you want to receive the calls on this local number
We'll create the order for you and we'll send you the invoice. The only thing you will have to do is pay the invoice. After you have paid it, the number will be active.
- Which payment methods are available?
It is possible to pay with credit card (Mastercard, Visa, American Express), with Paypal or bank transfer.
- After I've paid a local number, when will it be active?
If you are a new customer, for security we will do a manual anti-fraud check of your first payment and your first order. This will be done in few hours. Then if everything is fine you will be put in the group of the trusted customers. In some special cases, at our discretion we may ask for additional documentation before approving the order.
If you are already a trusted customer, paying with credit card or paypal, the number will be active immediately. If you pay with bank money transfer, the number will be active as soon as we have received the transfer.
There is an exception for the numbers of some countries, listed here, whose legislation requires additional documentation (ID or proof of address). In these cases the activation will be done after the review of the documentation, which will not take longer than a few hours.
- Can I use my virtual number to do outgoing calls at cheap rates?
Yes. See rates
- Which equipment do I need to use a virtual number?
If you do not want to have costs when you receive calls, you need a VOIP phone (for example, a Siemens Gigaset IP) or a VOIP adapter (for example, the Fritz!box), or a smartphone in which you have installed an application that can receive VOIP calls (Sipdroid, Linphone, Hangouts...).
Or alternatively you can simply receive calls on your home phone or mobile phone, without any additional equipment. In this case you will have a small charge per minute, according to these rates
- How many concurrent calls can I receive on a virtual number?
For toll-free numbers, by default you can receive up to 300 concurrent calls.
For DID numbers, you can receive 2 contemporary calls. If you need more channels please contact us.
- How should I configure a SIP phone to make and receive calls with my DID number?
Here are the detailed instructions:
1) Firstly you have to forward your DID number to "phone.system": in your private area click "my numbers" ⇨"Details" of DID number you have purchased ⇨ choose "phone.systems"
2) Launch the phone.systems widget: in your private area click "phone.systems panel " ⇨ click on start button. A new window with the phone.system dashboard will open. The complete guide for this instrument can be found here: phone.system guide
3) Create a "number" object and a "person". To do this, drag the mentioned objects from the palette to the workspace.
4) Open the settings of the number object and select your DID number (if the DID number doesn't appear at this point, check if you have set the forwarding of the number to phone.systems, as I explained in bullet 1)
5) Open the settings of the object "person": choose "VOIP" as a contact method, then create a "device" and open the device details. The data of your SIP account will appear as in this screenshot:
6) Connect the "number" to "person" with the mouse, as shown in the picture. Now you can close the phone.system window.
7) Configure your SIP device with data provided in bullet 5.
Now your SIP device is ready to receive unlimited calls for free and to make outbound calls using the credit of your account.
- Can I receive faxes?
Yes, you can receive faxes as attachments of your e-mail. Here are the steps:
1) Open phone.system panel in your private area and then start the phone.system widget.
2) Drag and drop from the palette onto the desktop the fax icon
3) Edit the settings of the fax object that you have created, and write the e-mail address where you want to receive the faxes
4) Connect your number to the fax.
- Can I choose a custom caller ID for outbound calls?
Yes, you can. You can choose any number as caller ID, provided you can proof that you have access to this number. Here are the steps:
1) Open the phone.system widget and click on advanced settings.
2) Click on "verified callerids"
3) Click in the "+" button on the top left
4) Write the number you want to use as caller ID. Note that it must be in E.164 format: this means that the country code does not need "00" or "+" (for example: for US, the number starts with 1)
5) Choose how you want to receive the verification code (voice call or SMS)
6) Type the code you have received
7) If the code is exact, a confirmation message will appear
8) Now, when configuring a VOIP device as a contact method of a person object, you will see the list of the caller ID that you have verified
- How can I avoid that the service is interrupted due to lack of credit?
We need to distinguish 2 cases:
1) If you are using a DID number only to receive calls to a VOIP phone, your periodical expenses are only related to the fixed monthly fee. In this case, you just need to activate the automatic renewal of the order for that DID number and activate the payment subscription with paypal or with credit card. You can do this during the purchase process of the number, and then you can disable or reenable it in your private area.
For Paypal subscriptions: open "my numbers", then open the "details" of the DID number order: you will find a menu to enable the subscription.
For credit card: open "my details", go to payment preference, then choose the credit card as payment method in the "Payment for new and renewal orders" menu.
2) If you have also traffic costs (forwarding a DID number to a PSTN regular phone, do outbound calls, or receive calls on a toll free number), then you need to have a non-zero prepaid credit in your account in order to use these services. Since your expenses are not exactly predictable, it may happen to run out of credit. To avoid this, you can activate the automatic recharge. Go to "my details" and in the payment preference set the minumum threshold amount, under which you wish to do the recharge; then select your credit card in the dropdown menu "balance auto-recharge for PSTN charge" and choose the action "refill amount" in the menu "If balance is less than threshold amount". Finally set the recharge amount. Notice that the automatic recharge is possible only for credit card, not for Paypal.
With the automatic recharge, you will sure to avoid service interruption. This is especially important for call centers.
If you prefer, in the "if balance is less than threshold amount" option, you can choose to receive an automatic mail notification: then you can do manually the recharge when receiving the notification.
- How I can make phone.system work with Chrome?
It may happen that phone.systems cannot start with Crome browser, and the message "Your browser does not have flash installed, please install flash" is displayed.
To solve this, click on the padlock on the top left of the browser.
In the menu that will be displayed, change the flash settings into "always allow on this website"